What do you think of when you hear someone mention Collingwood? Chances are, you think of it as a vacation town, especially if you live near the GTA. Since it’s less than a two-hour drive from Toronto, Mississauga, and Brampton, Collingwood is a popular tourist destination, particularly for quick weekend getaways. But would you ever contemplate making Collingwood your permanent home when you retire? It may not be the first place to spring to mind, but there are many excellent reasons to consider it. Yes, the scenery is beautiful, and the ski hills are to die for. But for retirees, there is much more to this stunning town on Southern Georgian Bay than meets the eye!
Collingwood May Be More Affordable Than You Realize
Take a leisurely drive along the waterfront, and you will no doubt pass by several multi-million dollar estates. Collingwood is known for its luxury homes. However, you may be surprised to know just how affordable housing can be, especially compared to anywhere in the GTA.
$700,000 in Toronto will get you a tiny, one-bedroom condo if you’re lucky. Toronto residents could never dream of a three-bedroom house with a backyard on a quiet street for that amount, but it is the reality in Collingwood right now.
If you’re downsizing to a smaller condo, you can often find a one or two-bedroom unit for less than $500,000.
If it’s your goal to retire and live in luxury on the waterfront, you still don’t need millions of dollars. At the time of this writing, you can find condos and townhouses off the shores of Southern Georgian Bay for less than $700,000!
If you currently own property in the GTA, you can use the proceeds to buy a home in Collingwood outright and retire mortgage free. You could even have plenty left over to fund an active lifestyle!
What else does Collingwood offer to new residents? Here are some other articles that you may find intriguing:
- What Collingwood Real Estate Offers Compared to Toronto
- What is Southern Georgian Bay?
- 5 Reasons to Move to Collingwood
Collingwood is Known for its Sense of Community
Retirees often face feelings of loneliness and isolation, but in Collingwood, you never have to feel alone. In fact, one of the things residents of all ages love most about living here is how friendly everyone is and the tight-knit sense of community. It often feels like no one is a stranger, and everyone is happy to help each other out when needed.
If you wish to keep busy, volunteers are the heart of our community! Collingwood has plenty of charities, senior centres, conservation areas, environmental organizations, and healthcare facilities that often need permanent or temporary assistance. Volunteering benefits more than just your community. It is good for your soul and helps you meet new friends. You’ll be hard-pressed for a better way to get to know your new neighbours than by working side by side together. Volunteering can come with some valuable perks. For example, the Blue Mountain Resort often provides free or deeply discounted memberships to its volunteers.
As a part of our community, Collingwood is committed to keeping you happy, safe, and healthy. You’ll find excellent healthcare, with several Community Health Centres in and near the city providing access to physicians, nurse practitioners, counsellors, dieticians, and more. No wonder Collingwood was once rated #16 out of the top 100 places to retire in Canada!
Thinking of buying or selling a house near Collingwood? These resources can help you get results:
- Should You Work With A Collingwood Realtor To Buy Your Next House?
- How To Sell A Home On Someone Else’s Behalf
- Our Top Tips for a Stress-Free Move in Collingwood
An Endless List of Enjoyable Activities
For active retirees, you’ll find an endless list of activities where you can meet new people and enjoy new experiences. Spring, summer, fall, or winter, you’ll never have to endure a dull moment. What kind of recreational relaxation or excitement can you find around the town? Here are just a few ideas to keep you out of trouble:
- Ski at one of the many famous resorts near Collingwood and The Blue Mountains.
- Rejuvenate and recharge at the luxurious Scandinavian Spa.
- Shop until you drop at the unique boutique stores in the downtown core.
- Go sailing on the sparkling waters of Georgian Bay.
- Spend an afternoon exploring the Scenic Caves.
- Beat the summer heat at Sunset Point Beach, or take a short drive out to Wasaga Beach.
- Enjoy a round of golf with your close friends. Collingwood has some of the best golf courses around!
- Pack a picnic and spend a relaxing afternoon at one of the many beautiful parks.
- Take a stroll along one of the stunning hiking trails.
- Visit the Terminal Buildings. They are an incredible sight to behold!
- Explore the nearby towns of Meaford, Craigleith, or The Blue Mountain Village.
This is just a short list of the enjoyable things you can do in and near Collingwood. With so much to do, see, and enjoy, you’ll rarely have to venture far from your new home. In fact, you may find yourself so busy having fun and living life to the fullest that you’ll wonder how you ever found the time to work!